Administrative History of Grange

 
Grange lies within the Broughton East Township of the historic parish of Cartmel Fell, one of the largest in the area.  A full history of the ancient arrangements can be found here.
 
The Grange Local Board of Health (LBD) was formed in 1874 with powers relating to sewers, water supplies, and cleaning and paving streets.  Their Sanitary District roughly (although not entirely) followed the modern boundary of the parish.  The 1894 Local Government Act renamed Urban Sanitary Authorities and Boards of Health as Urban District Councils, and a new civil parish of Grange was formally created from parts of Broughton East (mostly), Upper and Lower Allithwaite township (now civil parishes).  The area was administered by Grange Urban District Council and covered 1540 acres [623 ha], and a further 274 acres [111 ha] was transferred from Lower Allithwaite to Grange in 1914.

The 'over-Sands' suffix was added in the late 19th or early 20th centuries by the local vicar who was fed up with his post going to Grange in Borrowdale.

In 1974, local government re-organisation saw the disbanding of the urban and rural district councils within Lonsdale (the area of Lancashire north of the sands) – and the creation of South Lakeland District Council.  The whole of Lancashire / Lonsdale north of the sands was transferred to the new county of Cumbria.
 
Grange-over-Sands Town Council, like other local councils is gradually taking on greater responsibility for services in the area (such as the public toilets).  South Lakeland District Council look after things like rubbish collection, the Ornamental Gardens, Promenade (and Lido) and so on, whilst Cumbria County Council are responsible for things like the schools and the roads.